Monday, March 24, 2014

Reflections on a Weekend in NYC

New York City! The Big Apple! The City That Never Sleeps!

NYC might not, but I certainly slept when I got home from our weekend excursion. We had a packed schedule of sights and experiences, and yet it was only a sliver of the culture and history there. If I had to choose one word to describe the trip, it would be “adventure.” There was always something interesting going on! The spirit of adventure inspired me to try new foods, including my first sushi. I usually detest seafood, but something about New York made it perfectly natural to step outside my comfort zone. I also unexpectedly found myself at ease on the Staten Island Ferry. I tend to be nervous over water, whether I’m driving on a bridge or flying across the pond; but in the spirit of the weekend and surrounded by my friends, I enjoyed and was relaxed by the sunset ferry ride. I would love to go back and visit more of the city! I’m sure New York has many more adventures in store for me.
---Emma


 The trip to New York was astounding. What I managed to get out of the entire experience was cultural awareness. I was exposed to many different types of people and ways of living. It also dispelled some of the stereotypes that surround New York. People were much nicer than I thought they would be, so I was pleasantly surprised by that. One of my favorite parts of the trip was waking up early on Saturday morning to go exploring with friends. We went to a flea market that had many interesting antiques, jewelry, clothes, and other items. The merchants that I interacted with were very generous and shared stories of their lives in New York. I ended up buying a vintage fedora, ties, and a blazer because the deals were too hard to pass up. We also had the opportunity to dine at the New York Athletic Club, which was a once in a lifetime opportunity. The food there was the most delectable and appetizing I have ever had, but the company of friends made it all the better. I think that Dr. Godshalk might be one of the best traveling companions ever because he knew some of the best places in New York and was very humorous throughout the trip. There was always something interesting to do or see and if I could go back, I would want to attend a musical on Broadway. Overall, the trip was excellent and I would encourage anyone to go.
---Keith


1 comment: